Many players have different opinions on what makes a good player. Some would say it is the way the player reads the opponent’s movements, the way they analyze data before the next bet, or just plain luck. All of these, in one way or another, have played a part in molding a person into a good player.
Here are some signs to look for to tell if a player is any good:
- Good players play a tight game. This means that the player plays a lot of short-hand games and does so aggressively. When a player plays tight, it means that the player is anticipating attacks from all sides. And if the player expects this, they would have some trick or strategy up their sleeves to make them dodge the play against them.
- The speed of the player is uncertain. There is a time when the rate of the player is fast, sometimes slow. This means that the player is trying to keep the other players off balance and is not letting them pick up on his or her pace of play. It is one thing to follow a player’s pace but another to keep away from it. Players who are pulled into the flow are controlled and manipulated by the opponent’s hand.
- Folding of the blinds. One must remember that poker is not only an aggressive game but also a defensive game. If a player plays defensive, they are trying to keep their hand from being known or predicted. One basic rule in poker is to defend one’s blind at all times.
- Keeping a sizeable bankroll. Good players know that a game that is defined to win must have means of supporting itself. Players must realize that no money means an end to one’s game.
- Watch the temper. Because of the intense mental pressure, players may get irritable and lash out at others around them. This isn’t good for the players who would have broken their concentration and their momentum. If one is in a pinch, one should calm down and see the logical way to tackle the problem.
If players can remember these factors, they should be able to help get into a good playing state. Poker is essentially a game of skill and how others use their skills in the game. intimidation, luck, and determination all play key roles here. One should be aware and adjust accordingly.